Can a Chameleon Change its Spots?

(This is neither of the laundrettes below) 

I have been to two very different launderettes in London. I wasn't sure I was welcome in the first. I spent most of the time waiting for my washing outside. In the second, most customers were in the launderette. The lady in charge, who I suspect is the owner but could be an employee, knows many of her customers: She doesn't take any nonsense but she also brings a warmth and joy to the place which draws people in. While I was there, an older woman came in holding herself up on a pull along shopping trolley. She was clearly vulnerable. I assumed she had come in to do her washing. The launderette woman ushered her in with a warm welcome. It transpired she came for a visit to chat and shelter from the drizzle. As the woman helped her to the door on the way out, she was repeatedly telling her how good it was that she'd come to visit.




These experiences made me reflect how much difference we can make to the atmosphere around us. Personally, I'm a bit of a chameleon. I tend to be affected by the cultural, social, emotional and spiritual environment I'm in. I tend to blend in. As I don't always realise I'm being effected by whatever is around me, sometimes my mood changes surprise or confuse me. When I walk into a launderette where there is a friendly upbeat worker, caring for her community, I know why I feel more upbeat. When I'm in a worship service, it makes sense that it is suddenly easier to pray. If I'm in a situation where someone is being mistreated, I know why that doesn't feel right. But if things just kind of feel "blah", off or neutral, I'm more likely to look inward for the cause (a good thing to do in itself), than to my physical or spiritual environment. I think God is teaching to pay more attention to these things.

However, as a chameleon, that is only half of the battle, because I also find it very hard to go against the colour of my environment. Yet, as I've travelled, I have noticed that it is the people who set a different tone, who make a difference. And that difference is highlighted when you are far from home, alone, or vulnerable. The people who put in the extra effort, the people who smile and make eye contact (appropriately!) bring so much more warmth, hope, light and encouragement than you would think possible through "small" actions. We need to remember that even on our worst days, we are carriers of the light and the smallest things may make a big difference that we may never even know.

As an aside, a well run community launderette in an area that needs one would be a great way to reach out to vulnerable people with God's love.

Comments